Poland – entry and exit formalities

Posted By Tomasz Ballaun / 2015-10-20 / , , , , / 0 Comments

The Polish currency is the złoty, abbreviated to zł and pronounced zwo-ti. It is divided into 100 groszy, which are abbreviated to gr. Banknotes come in denominations of 10zł, 20zł, 50zł, 100zł and 200zł, and coins in 1gr, 2gr, 5gr, 10gr, 20gr and 50gr, and 1zł, 2zł and 5zł. It?s a stable currency that has held its own with respect to the euro and US dollar in recent years.
Poland – entry and exit formalities: Passports
EU citizens need only a valid ID to travel in Poland. For everyone else, a passport is required. Note some airlines may deny travel to passengers whose passports are within six months of expiration from date of departure.

Poland – entry and exit formalities: Customs Regulations
Travellers arriving from non-EU countries can bring in up to 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars or 250g of pipe tobacco, up to 2L of non-sparkling wine, and up to 1L of spirits.
Travellers arriving from an EU member state can import up to 800 cigarettes, 200 cigars or 1kg of pipe tobacco, and up to 110L of beer, 90L of wine and 10L of spirits. This is seldom checked.
The export of items manufactured before 9 May 1945 is prohibited without an export permit (pozwolenie eksportowe). Official antique dealers may offer to help you out with the paperwork, but the procedure is bureaucratic and time-consuming.

Poland – entry and exit formalities: Visas
EU citizens do not need visas and can stay indefinitely. Citizens of the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Japan and many other countries can stay in Poland for up to 90 days without a visa.

Other nationalities should check with their local Polish embassy or at the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs website (www.msz.gov.pl).

Poland – entry and exit formalities: Shifting Borders
Poland is a member of the EU?s common border area, the Schengen zone, and frontier crossings to neighbouring EU countries, including Germany, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Lithuania, no longer involve passports or visas.

This situation does not apply for visiting Belarus, Ukraine or Russia’s Kaliningrad enclave. For Belarus, most travellers will need to secure a visa in advance from a Belarusian consulate. You?ll need a valid passport, photo and application. See the Belarusian foreign ministry website for details: www.mfa.gov.by.

The situation for Ukraine and Kaliningrad is mixed. For Ukraine, citizens of the EU, USA and Canada do not need a visa for stays up to 90 days, but citizens of Australia and New Zealand (at the time of writing) need to get a visa in advance. Check the Ukrainian foreign ministry website (www.mfa.gov.ua) for details.

Everyone needs a Russian visa to enter Kaliningrad, though citizens from the EU and a handful of other countries, such as Switzerland and Japan, can obtain short-term tourist visas at the border. These need to be arranged via local agencies. Travellers from other countries are best advised to check with the Russian embassy in their home capital.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/poland/visas#ixzz4AcWYGVUt


No comments

Leave a reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.